The First Baptist Church of Williamsburg is one of the oldest black churches in America. It dates back to 1776 when non-denominational services were held in a brush arbor in Green Spring. The church later moved to Williamsburg and in 1791, it was made a Baptist church. In 1818, its congregation met in a wooden building on Nassau Street and in 1885 a brick building was built for the church on Nassau Street between Duke of Gloucester and Frances Street. The site was purchased by Colonial Williamsburg in 1954 and the congregation relocated to its present building on Scotland Street.
Find. Do.Tag. Share.
- Popular Searches